Sunday, August 12, 2012

To Map Out a Course of Action.....

“Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The above quote really speaks to me, because my life has become like a hurricane for the past couple of weeks.  Most of what is going on in my life is wonderful, but there always has to be something or someone to try to throw a monkey wrench into things to shake it up.  I have learned over the years that the perpetrator is most often somebody that I love very much.  Maybe the explanation for this is that if I didn't love and care about the saboteur, then I wouldn't  be at all concerned about what he or she throws my way. 

Be that as it may, I can look back on my life and see how just about every great and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me, has been the end result of a lot of sweat, tears, and misunderstandings.  Good things don't normally come easy, and I always tell the Four Princesses that anything worth doing is going to be hard. 

Homeschooling is hard.  So is starting and maintaining one's own business.  Choosing to leave the workforce to stay at home, homeschool, and attempt to start a business is and has been an amazing test of courage and faith.  It takes a set of broad shoulders to be able to smile among critics and act like you don't hear or don't feel pain because of the things that they say.  It takes even more courage to turn the other cheek, but there are too many things for a homeschooling mama to do, to have time to entertain the naysayers.

The point is that there are a lot of new homeschooling families in my community.  They are embarking on an amazing experience.  Each family's reason for homeschooling is as different as the children that they will teach.  The first year of homeschooling can be very trying, and many families don't make it to the second year.  I personally think that it does a child a great disservice to waffle between schooling situations, so the King and I determined together that once we removed our first grader from school, that it would be the end of schooling for her as she knew it.   That was nearly 12 years ago.  In 12 years, you can bet that we have had our share of challenges, but still manage to get up every morning and start each day brand new.

Have a Great Day!
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment