Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Baby Wipes: They're Not Just for Babies Anymore

I met my husband when I was 15 years old. We married when I was 18, and had Princess Melody when I was 19. I am now 35, and it is time to share a few things that I have learned on my journey as wife, mother, worker, student, daughter, caregiver, etc. etc.

1. Baby wipes: they're not just for babies anymore.

2. Look nice when you go out, but keep a "just in case" pair of comfy shoes in the car.

3. Keep beauty routines at a minimum. I can be ready for anything in about 20 minutes, whether anybody likes the way I look or not.

4. If you are a busy mom, keep at least one skirt on hand that goes with any blouse. Why???? You don't always have time to wonder what everybody else is wearing, but you can rarely go wrong with a skirt and blouse.

5. If you don't like how a program or activity is going for your children, then sign up to volunteer. Either you will learn the method to their madness, or be part of the solution. It's a win-win situation.

6. Don't compare your marriage to anybody else's. Nobody but Jesus is perfect.

7. Along those same lines, don't second guess your decisions as a mother. My own Mama, when I was faced with a decision said, "Whatever you decide to do will be right, because you are their mother." Thank you, Mama.

8. Keeping a personal journal for each of my children is both healing and will leave something behind that is worth far more than money.

9. Your mother was right when she said to always wear clean underwear, because you could end up in the emergency room. Trust me on this one.

10. Do laundry every day. If you don't believe me, watch some ladies do a month's worth of laundry at the laundromat and ask yourself if you would like to be in their shoes. Just do it.

11. Play board and video games with your kids once in awhile. It's fun.

12. Share your favorite music and books with your family. You never know who will be truly blessed by being exposed to these things.

13. If you want your kids to read, then you should read. Read books, magazines, newspapers, internet articles. Read, read, read.....

14. You can't take care of your kids if you don't take care of yourself. Give yourself permission to be a little bit selfish in the health department.

15. ALSO, don't hide your health issues from your kids. I am a diabetic, as is or was the rest of both mine and my husband's side of the family. Growing up watching my grandfather handle his diabetes may very well have saved my life, and I will do the same for the little eyes that are watching me.

16. Let your kids teach you. I had never watched a foreign film with subtitles until Princess Melody discovered Bollywood all by herself. WOW! There are some amazing things to see in this world.

17. Read Proverbs 31 over and over again. Then, read it over some more.

18. If something isn't going right in your life, don't be afraid to make changes.

19. The fastest way to stop an argument is to stop talking.

20. The fastest way to solve a problem is to pray.

Giving All the Glory to God,
Laurel Santiago

1 comment: