Sunday, September 4, 2011

One of the chief complaints of medical care is the lack of sensitivity by medical professionals. I got spoiled over the years by a wonderful physician's assistant that treated me for about 12 years, and I had the same OB for all three princesses. Here I am in a new town, with doctors that don't know me, and I'm too far away from the aforementioned doctors to be able to go see them as often as I need to be seen. I'm hypothyroid, diabetic, and pregnant. Is that the makings for a good reality show or what? When you call a doctor to try to set up an appointment for prenatal care, the person on the other end of the line gets a brief history of your health. After they hear that you have issues, they tell you that they are all booked up, or that they may not be equipped to handle your high risk pregnancy. Hubs put his foot down and said that I needed to give the local doctor a chance, so I did. My appointment was at 8:30a.m. Being a diabetic, I went in fasting just in case they would want to get a fasting blood sugar reading. By 9:30a.m. I am finally in the door, and have to sit in a room until about 10:00a.m. while doctor and nurses decide if they want to take on my case or not. I can hear from the din in the hallway that phone calls are being made to other doctors on my behalf, and there are debates going on. At some point, the nurse comes in to tell me that they won't be able to treat me. A few minutes later, the doctor comes in and says that he will treat me, but with the backup of three doctors that specialize in high risk pregnancies in the next town. Are you surprised that by the time the nurse got around to taking my blood pressure, it was slightly elevated? The doctor seems to be very nice and appears to love his line of work, which is always a plus. He and the nurse do all of the routine things that are done on first prenatal visits, and the nurse says that she will try to set me up for sonogram for that afternoon just to confirm dates and things like that. How exciting! My excitement turns to fear and humiliation when I hear her and another nurse talking about me in the hallway. The other nurse was rudely and hatefully discussing my case and was telling my nurse that she will not be able to handle me, because apparently I am a freak that is not deserving of proper medical attention. A few minutes later, mine comes in with a paper giving orders for a sonogram in a couple of weeks with the high risk doctors in the next town. Fair enough. She gives me a few instructions and her contact info, and I am on my way by nearly noon, EXCEPT for the fact that I have to stop in and get a near lecture from the battle axe in the business office who wants to make certain that I pay all co pays, deductibles and 20 percent of my expenses before the birth of the baby, or else they will give all of my records to me and send me on my way. This comes after she sort of turns her nose up at me when she asks and I tell her that I am not on Medicaid. I have no problem with families having Medicaid, and have received it in the past, but I don't have it, and therefore am a freak without government assistance who dares to attempt to receive medical care. At this point, I don't think that Obamacare or any other government intrusion is necessary. A crash course in common courtesy might be all the reformation that the healthcare system needs.

2 comments:

  1. Awe Laurel! I HATE that you had to listen to that! I'm sure the Dr would have been appalled to hear that his staff was acting that way towards you. That kind of behavior sickens me. Professionals should never do that! I hope that you are feeling well and pray that your pregnancy is smooth, enjoyable & without worries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH!!!! Lori.... that angers me TO NO END!!! Rude is not harsh enough.... but that is what it was.... just. plain. rude!!!

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete