Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I have been a college student mom, working mother, stay at home mom, work at home mom, public school mom, and homeschooling mom. The Three Princesses and I have not had a boring life together.

I was already pregnant with Princess Melody when I got married. I prayed for a baby girl with red, curly hair. Keep in mind that I am Native American with brown hair that is straight as a board. My husband is Hispanic, with dark brown, straight hair. Princess Melody has naturally wavy brown hair with red highlights.

About 3 years later, I told Mama that I was going to go to the doctor for a pregnancy test. Right after I left her house to go to my appointment, our old family doctor came to ask Papa to work on his car, and she told him what I had told her. about 9 months later, I was sitting at her kitchen table with newly born, Princess Abbey. The same old doctor friend came to the door. Mama took Abbey to him and said, "Remember when I told you that Lori needed a pregnancy test? Well, here it is!"

I found out that I was expecting Princess Tarja, the day after Abbey's 8th birthday, and just a few months after Mama died. When I went to the doctor, she confirmed what I already knew, and I burst into tears. We had wanted another baby, but had given up several years before. My doctor hugged me and asked me if I wanted the baby and I said, "I do......but I feel so silly, and I miss my Mama." Mama died in February of 2007, and Tarja arrived in March of 2008.

My birthday is in March. Mama gave me a necklace in December for my birthday. It is a heart with footprints on one side and the words, "It was then that I carried you...." on the back. She insisted on giving it to me in December. I sat with her until she went home.......just two days before my birthday.

"It was then that I carried you......"

Happy Mother's Day, Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment